Microsoft Office is a very popular and most used application around the world. Be it on Windows or Mac, it is widely used on all operating systems. Microsoft Office is one of the most popular products of Microsoft.
It offers a set of different applications in a compiled office suite. Microsoft Office Suite is customized according to the use of different users. For example, it has a different set of applications for home use, office use, corporate use, school use, Microsoft Office suite for Windows, Office suite for Mac, etc.
Usually, Mac users have multiple questions regarding the setup and use of Microsoft Office Suite. To clear all the doubts, in this blog, I am going to talk all about….
How To Setup And Use Microsoft Office Suite For Mac?
Microsoft Office suite for Mac was first introduced in 1998. It was called Microsoft Office 98 Macintosh Edition. This was almost 8 years after it was first released for Windows 95 in 1990. Microsoft Office Suite for Mac was later re-engineered by Microsoft’s Macintosh Business Unit. It also launched the Internet Explorer 4.0 and Outlook Express.
The Microsoft Office Suite launched for Mac included, MS Excell 98, MS Word 98 and MS Powerpoint 98.
If compared between MS Office suite for Windows and Mac, there is not much difference. However, after the launch of Microsoft Office Suite for Mac, version 15.25, it became exclusively for 64-bit applications and was not compatible for 32-bit Mac processors. The latest version of MS Office for Mac is 2016. It is easily available for on multiple platforms, customized keeping in mind the needs of different users. However, it is recommended to download the application only from the official site of Microsoft.
The different customized suits available are for:
- Students and Home Use: this includes only the core applications.
- Business and Home Use: this includes Outlook along with the core applications
- Standard: this also includes Outlook and core applications but is only available through licensing channels.
The 2016 version of Microsoft Office Suite for Mac is also available as a part of Office 365. The different applications available in the suite for Mac for different users are:
- Office Suite 2016 for Home and Students: this suite includes Excel, Word, Powerpoint and OneNote. This can be used only for 1 Mac at a time.
- Office 365 Personal: the applications included in this suite are OneNote, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook and Online Storage. This can be used on more than 1 Mac
- Office 365 Home: this suite includes, Outlook, OneNote, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Online Storage. This can be used for up to 5 Mac users.
Now comes the question….
How To Download Microsoft Office Suite for Mac?
The steps are very simple and you should not face any problem in downloading it.
- Browse www.office.com
- Sign in with your Microsoft account. If you are downloading any Microsoft application for the first time and do not have an account, you can also create a new one.
- Go to the Home Page
- Select Install Office (
- Click on the “Install” button and the file will start downloading.
How To Install Microsoft Office Suite for Mac?
Installing Microsoft Office for Mac is also as simple as downloading it. If you are installing it for the first time, you need to first follow the setup process. I am assuming that since you downloaded the Office Suite for Mac from the official website, you have purchased or subscribed for it and have a product key.
In order to install office, you need to first redeem the product key.
- Go to office.com/setup
- Log in with the existing or new account.
- Enter your product key to redeem it.
Steps to Install Microsoft Office Suite for Mac:
- After the file is downloaded, go to Finder, single click on Downloads and then double click on Microsoft Office installer.pkg.
In case you see an error that the file cannot be opened, wait for 10 seconds. Then move the downloaded file to the desktop and hold Control +, then click the file to install the launcher.
- Select “Continue” to begin the process.
- Click “Continue” after reviewing the software license.
- In the next pop-up window, select “Agree” for the software license and agreement.
- Next click “Continue” after selecting how you want to install office.
- Make sure you have enough disk space for the installation, or change the install location and click “Install”.
- You can also install only the applications you want instead of the entire suite. For this click on the “Customize” button and select the applications, you want to install.
- Next, you will be asked to enter the user name and password. Enter the Mac login credentials that you use to login to Mac.
- The installation process will begin. Once the process is complete click “Close”
How To Launch Microsoft Office Suite For Mac
After the installation, to launch the applications follow these steps:
- Click on the Launchpad icon, to display all the applications.
- Click on any one of the MS Office applications in the launchpad.
- When you launch any MS office application for the first time, the “What’s New” window will appear.
- Click on Get Started button and you are all set to use the application.
These were the steps to set up and use Microsoft Office Suite for Mac.