How can I check if the Microsoft office key is genuine?
Any software installation on your PC or laptop requires a product key. The product key is the unique code generated especially for you. This ensures that only you are using the software. One product key can be used only once for that particular software.
However, being in the online world, the intelligent minds found an alternative for this too and started using the software without buying ar legally installing it. This, of course, created a mess for the software generators.
To avoid this misuse and tackle the situations, companies started to promote the subscription module, instead of the purchasing module. Different software companies started advertising for monthly, quarterly and yearly subscription, instead of giving the complete ownership.
This step was taken to stop software counterfeiting. Giants like Adobe and Microsoft also do not sell a license for the apps and software. They are also promoting subscription-based models. Though you can still buy a licenced version with a product key, however, this is not much suggested.
This new subscription model led to t=misunderstanding amongst the users, They thought that they could no longer buy the product key from Microsoft or, the product key that they have is no longer genuine. This misconception led them to third party sellers for product keys. One major risk in this was, not all third-party vendors sold genuine key.
Therefore, I came up with this blog. Today I am going to list down the steps on how to check if the Microsoft Office key is genuine.
When You Need Microsoft Office Key?
You will require the Microsoft product key when you are installing office for the first time on your PC or laptop. Or you may also need it if you are updating or reinstalling Office. There are two ways through which you might have got your Microsoft Office.
- Either you bought it from a store
- You purchased it from online Microsoft site.
In both cases, you will get a product key. If you bought Office through an online site, you need to do the following steps:
- Open the official Microsoft site – www.microsoftstore.com
- In the upper right corner, you can see the Sign-in option. Enter the login id and password you used while buying the product.
- After signing in click on your name in the upper right-hand corner and then select Order History.
- Locate your purchase and click Install Office. When you click this, it will not actually install office, but only show you the product key.
- When the product key window appears, click on Install Office again.
- Next window will show you a welcome message “Hi. Let’s get your office” do as prompted, enter the product key and install office.
This Microsoft Office key will be genuine because it was generated on the official Microsoft Store online site.
If you bought Office from a local store, you need to follow the following steps to install office:
- Start the Office app that you have purchased. You will be redirected to the sign-in window.
- In the sign-in window, select “I don’t want to sign-in or create an account”.
- In the next window, just enter your product key and office product installation process will begin.
Now, comes the point on
How to Check if the Product Key is Genuine?
These simple steps will help you to check if the Microsoft Office key is genuine or not.
1. Open this page
2. Enter your credentials for Microsoft account and click next.
3. Next, you will be redirected to ‘Enter Your Product Key’ window.
4. Enter the Product key that you have. If your product key is valid, you will be redirected to the download setup files window. If your key is not valid, you will see an error like the shown below.
If your key is valid for other versions of Office like Office 2007, Office 2010 or Office for Mac, you will be redirected to this page. There you can enter your product key and download the right version.
Microsoft will never directly prompt that the product key is not genuine. However, if you have been cheated and given an invalid key, it will always show an error. The chances are high that you are counterfeited if you see this error message.
If you have purchased Office from a known retailer, there are chances that you can go back to the store, report about the fake key and get the right one. However, getting it to change or hoping for a refund will be useful, if you purchased the product from any random online seller.
It is always advised to buy software and app from the authentic Microsoft store website. The possibilities of getting a fake key are almost none. However, if for any reasons you are unable to purchase it from the main site, try to buy it from a known and reliable vendor.
An even better way is to go for the Subscription model and renew your license as per your requirement. This is a much safer way because – One – you have zero possibility of being counterfeited by fake vendors. Two – you have the flexibility of renewing or cancelling your subscription on a monthly or yearly basis as per your needs.
Be aware of fraud sellers. Trust only the authentic site to purchase not just Microsoft but any software or apps.